The Empire Building
Charles B. Magruder, it was a salesmens' hotel. The Magruders built the Magruder Arcade, Hotel & Restaurant, the Lucerne Theater and several other of Oralndo's commercial and residential buildings. Managed by R.E. Brabel in the 1920's, the Empire Hotel housed the actor's and actresses of the motion picture film industry which made a start in Florida during that decade. The Empire also housed actors who performed on stage in local theaters. Almost late 19th century in appearance, the Empire's bulk, clean lines, ranks of arched windows and leased retail space have been part of life in Orlando for seventy years. The Empire Hotel rear elevation backs up to several of Orlando's oldest commercial buildings, now rehabilitated or restored. Its rehabilitation will complement the work completed or underway on S. Orange Avenue and West Pine Street. Provided by Historic Preservation Commission of Orlando.